Thursday, April 19, 2007

Bowed Basement Wall Solution


There are many solutions to fixing a bowed basement wall. The greater the bow, the greater the expense to repair.


If a home has a bowed wall that is no more than 2" difference when putting a level to it - steel I-beams are a good solution. There are many other ways of stopping the wall from moving, however the I-beam is true AND long term tested. The other ways, such as the epoxied band and the block pilaster - can work - but each has their drawbacks.


The I-beam method involves breaking up the floor along the wall (which you'd have to do anyway to put in an interior waterproofing system to relieve the pressure). The I-beam is anchored to the footer below the floor and attach to the floor joist above. It is then re-cemented into place (once the waterproofing system is in place). This method only allows the wall to move if the HOUSE moves too. Highly unlikely.


A reputable company can install an I-beam for under $200 per beam - with beams spread out every 4'. While an I-beam is not the prettiest, it can be buried under a finished basement stud build out.


Rebuilding a wall is much more expensive - about $230 per linear foot. I-beams are a nice solution.

No comments: