Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Stupid People with a Wet Basement


From the files of, "you've got to be kidding me"...


Today's waterproofing call involved a frantic homeowner that says she's got a puddle on the floor and the water looks rusty. Upon arrival, the walls are bone dry and yes, there is a puddle on the floor - approximately 1' from the wall. Apparently, water jumps from the wall to a random spot on the floor.


Yes, the water had a rust color to it...yellowish to be exact. I noticed an animal cage close by and asked if she owned a pet. "Oh yes, I have a brand new puppy. He's outside right now." I asked if she ever keeps the dog in the basement...hoping she could put 2 and 2 together. Straight faced, she said "Yes, during the day when I'm not home." She still didn't get it. I asked her to go and smell the puddle. This lady would do anything...if it wasn't raining I would have asked her to wash my car as part of the inspection, but I digress... The lady smells the puddle and says, "It smells kind of like pee."


I'm still waiting for the light to go on above her head, however it doesn't until I say, "There you have it! It's your dog..."


Boy did she feel stupid...I think...then again, maybe not.

No comments: