Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Incorrect Insulation Advice

Evening all -

Today was another enjoyable day of listening to advice that was given to a client from an insulation contractor. Sometimes my joy comes from giving clients the "What did that contractor say?" look. This was one of those occasions.

It was a kneewall attic area. The client was complaining about the high gas bill and the coldness of the rooms below. When I arrived there, I inspected the kneewall area and found zero insulation on the kneewall and an R11 batt on the flat. I explained that I would want to put an R19 on the kneewall, seal off the floor cavity underneath, blow the slopes and crown, add another R27 to the flat and add 2 gable vents. The client was in shock. "The last guy that was here said that I had a good start with the R11 on the flat. He said he would recommend putting an R19 ON THE ROOF DECKING so that I would still have somewhere to store items behind the wall." That was it...nothing else.

Of course I explained that my quote would be substantially higher - and the work would be correct. I'm sure the client's head was spinning, but when I explained why the other recommendation was idiotic, the client seemed to understand.

I guess we need others in our industry like this contractor to separate us from them...

Next Topic: More Happenings...

No comments: