Sunday, February 18, 2007

Using a drill to test sidewalls

Sorry for the lack of writing the past two days - computer issues (run-time error) prohibited me from typing more than one letter at a time. And as much as a like writing this blog - I don't like it enough to write for 2 hours...

While infra-red cameras work well in Ohio 6-months out of the year, they do not work well in months where the temperature change from inside to outside doesn't vary by more than 10-15 degrees. Infra-reds also do not work at various times of the day when there is a "sun-wash." I'll address Infra-reds in a separate column.

What works all the time? A drill with a 2" hole bit. The bit itself costs approximately $6 - I purchased another one from Home Depot yesterday. The bit has a lead on it, and a very sharp 2" circle. Next, choose a closet that shares an exterior wall. Simply drill a test hole and voila! - you can see into the cavity. Upon completion, you can attempt to put the drywall back into place and spackle (or if lath and plaster, re-plaster the hole.)

You can pick up a real inexpensive drill (I think I saw a Ryobi 12V for $49) and save the money you would have spent on a IR camera ($9,000.) IR cameras do have a great use for determining slope insulation where a drill bit won't work.

Good luck - I'll be test drilling AND infra-redding tomorrow.

No comments: